domingo, 24 de marzo de 2013

The trip


So, how was the trip from Spain to Ahmedabad?

Long.

Obviously. I left my house on a Tuesday at 10.30 in the morning and I arrived here on the following Thursday at 7 in the morning. But don’t worry, it shouldn’t take that long! I went to London first, and there are four and a half hours difference between here and Spain.

I took a bus, then I flew to London, where I stayed with some friends (thanks again, Carmen and Paula!) and the Tube, and a train to Heathrow. I left my friends’ house with plenty of time, as I had to carry two suitcases, and I took the underground but, when I was on the train, we just stopped. The driver told us that the train in front of us was on fire! So we had to go slowly to try the rails. It took us an hour to get to a station that was not even mine! I had to look for a bus and, in the terminal, take another train to my terminal. I was almost panicking! Luckily, I arrived and could take the plane.

Already in the plane, I was sitting by this Indian guy who lived in London, and who could barely speak English… I started to fear that it wouldn’t be so easy to communicate with people in India… I will talk about that another day.

We had a vegetarian meal (hmmmmm) and the lights went off, so that we could sleep and get used to the new time zone (it was about 3 in the afternoon). In Mumbai, we changed planes and had to go through security again… not so sure why…

I had just arrived to India (I hadn’t even left the airport) and I already started to see some differences. For example, there were two different queues for security, for men and women, and there were two types of toilets: a squat toilet and the one we are used to, but with some kind of pipe on one side.

Finally, I got to Ahmedabad. I had to wait for the suitcases. I realized that people was a bit rude. Well, compared to England, that is easy! But then I was explained that it is not that, it is just the way they are in their culture: straight to the point.

Then I had to show my passport again, where they reminded me to go to the police station to register within 14 days and… they scanned my luggage again… And that’s it! My boss was waiting for me outside, and he brought me to my new house. I live in a 9th floor, I have my own bathroom and I have one housemate for the moment.

I think that was long enough for today. Thank you for your interest! Next time I will talk a bit about the language. See you soon!

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario